Friday, June 10, 2016

How I Made Money Selling Old Textbooks


This summer I noticed that almost an entire shelf on my bookshelf has been taken over by old textbooks. Now i'm not sure if it was the fact that I was super excited to be in college or that I loved my classes, but for some reason I felt like it was necessary to keep all of my fashion and accounting textbooks {minus one or two where I was able to rent them for cheaper}. I expected to be referencing them a lot and flipping back through my fashion books because some of them are just so nice to look at! While that didn't happen with most of my books, I still kept hoarding them on my bookshelf.

Fast forward two more years of school and I've reached the point where I can't wait to sell my books back at the end of the trimester to get a little bit of money back into my pocket. Yet for some reason all those freshman year books still remained sitting on the bookshelf. I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner, but this summer I decided that it was time to get rid of them and hopefully make a little cash in the process. 

I put off the task for a few days because I figured the process would be quite annoying. I figured that I would have to put each ISBN I'm separately on various different websites in order to find who would give me the most money, basically I expected it to take more time than it should. That's why I am so happy that I found BookFinder. They made the process so easy- all I had to do was enter all of the ISBN numbers of the books I was looking to sell on a single screen, then the system compared the prices that were offered from different textbook resellers such as Amazon, Chegg, and AbeBooks. This way I could compare all prices on a single webpage. I also found it helpful that the website told you whether the company was offering you cash or a gift card for your books, although Amazon was the only one that gave gift cards.

In the end I was able to sell every book I wanted to, and I made over $100! While it's nowhere near the amount I spent on these books in the first place, I'm happy to get them out of my room and make some money at the same time. If you ever need to sell some old books I highly recommend using them!


No comments:

Post a Comment