Wednesday, February 3, 2016

How I Keep Myself Organized

School can be stressful enough as it is, but once you factor in clubs, sports, jobs, and everything else that comes along with life it can be very hard to keep things straight. That's why I think it is extremely important that everyone finds a way that helps keep them organized. I realize that not every method works for every person, but I think it's important to try new methods in order to find one that works for you. So today I thought it would be fun to share some of the methods that work best for me!

The most important thing that helps keep me organized is my agenda. Last year I had a Lily Pulitzer large agenda, but it just wasn't large enough for what I needed. Once this school year rolled around I didn't feel like spending $30+ on the jumbo sized agenda. Instead I decided to get just a generic one at Target, and I love it so much more. It's big enough for me to write down everything I need to include (homework, meetings, important events, etc.)


I used to assign a color to each subject, and I would write down any homework or important dates for the class in the coordinating color. However, I noticed that this led me to often wait until later to write assignments down because I couldn't find the correct color, and after leaving the classroom the chance of me writing down the assignment at all became quite slim. So I got rid of that idea! Now I just write everything down in blue pen, and use two different hilighters so separate tasks. If it is an important event, like a test or meeting, I hilight it in orange. For assignments once they are completed I hi light them in yellow.

I have tried so many different methods of organizing my papers and notes. I tried using a separate folder and notebook for each class, binders,accordion folders. In the end, the method that has worked best is to have one 5 subject notebook for all my classes, and a separate folder for each. What I do to take notes is write everything down on a sheet of loose leaf when i'm in class. Then afterwards, I copy everything over in my notebook. This way everything looks neat, but I also am studying everything I learned by re-reading it all.

For outside activities (internships, my blog, etc) I keep separate notebooks for each. This way I can take notes during meetings, write ideas down, and keep everything in one place.

Finally, I use the wall space above my desk to make sure that I always know what is going on. I have a giant wall calendar that I update with all the important due dates and meetings that are listed in my agenda. This way I can easily see what is going on without having to go in my backpack. Below that, I keep sticky notes on the wall with individual tasks that need to get done. They are right at eye level so that everytime I sit down I see them. I've noticed that since i've been doing this I get tasks done a lot faster!


I hope you were able to learn some tips and tricks to help keep you organized!



No comments:

Post a Comment